In a joint operation targeting human smugglers, U.K. and Libyan authorities arrested four people, including a key figure in a Syrian smuggling network allegedly responsible for transporting hundreds of migrants across the Mediterranean, some of whom were destined for the U.K.
The arrests were part of a broader initiative by the U.K.'s National Crime Agency (NCA) to combat human smuggling across the Mediterranean, which often involves fragile, overcrowded boats. The detentions took place across various locations in Libya, the NCA said Thursday.
The key figure, accused of smuggling hundreds of Syrian migrants across the central Mediterranean, was arrested in Tripoli last month. Another suspect, identified by the NCA as being involved in smuggling migrants of various nationalities into Greece, was detained in the northeastern town of Tobruk.
Two additional suspects were arrested earlier this year in the northwestern city of Sabratha. One is suspected of organizing the transfer of 11 Iraqi Kurdish migrants to Europe, while the other allegedly arranged the transportation of around 400 migrants.
All four face prosecution in Libya, while investigations continue.
“While those arrested in these operations are suspected of moving migrants across the Mediterranean, there is no doubt that some of those smuggled would likely have ended up risking their lives again trying to cross the Channel too,” said Rick Jones, NCA International Deputy Director.
The operation comes amid growing concerns about illegal migration in Libya, which the U.N. estimates is home to over 700,000 migrants, though Libyan officials argue the number is much higher.